South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
As part of the Africa Sourcing team within the Climate Projects business line, the Junior Sourcing Specialist in Nature-Based Solutions (NBS) will support the South Pole team sourcing new project leads in the region. You will actively support business development and emission reduction project acquisition, origination-related activities in the region – primarily related to themes such as REDD+, afforestation, reforestation, rehabilitation, improved forest management, and NBS topics such as blue carbon and agriculture-based emission reduction projects.
In this exciting role, you will work closely with other teams within the Climate Projects business line, allowing you a global perspective on climate finance and sustainability. This is an externally facing position that will require strong networking and communication skills. You will be dealing directly with many project owners and sustainability-related actors to help collaborate and source emission reduction projects.
The role is a combination of administration, business development, project analysis, and stakeholder/client engagement. In addition, the Junior Sourcing Specialist will undertake activities such as ensuring smooth and eloquent operationalisation of global project sourcing flows, processes, document handling, database management, and coordination with different teams on various tasks and activities.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Support South Pole’s Africa team in sourcing potential emission reduction projects related to land use, forestry, agriculture, and related sectors.
- Conduct research relevant to new project leads, project developers, project owners, relevant regulatory regimes and policies related to NBS, AFOLU and related sectors.
- Support the creation and negotiation of commercial terms with project owners.
- Collect data from Project Owners or other third parties for due diligence, technical, financial and legal documentation.
- Drive opportunities for business development, including targeted business meetings, pitching sessions, financial analysis and liaising with clients.
- Proactive networking with relevant organisations, including attending relevant gatherings and conferences and other events that are strategic for sourcing team activities related to NBS in Africa.
- Ensure efficient and effective implementation of South Pole’s Regional and Practice-based sourcing strategies.
- Support coordination and collaboration with other teams within South Pole globally in regards to project leads and opportunities.
- Ensure that sourcing flows and processes (including documentation and interaction with other teams) are in line with the company guidelines.
- Manage and maintain our global sourcing database (in Salesforce), ensuring that information regarding project leads and opportunities are well recorded and updated.
- University degree in Forestry, Agriculture, Economics, Environmental Sustainability, Business Development and Law or similar - ideally a Masters degree or above.
- Entry-level work experience in environmental project assessment/development/implementation in Africa, especially in fields related to agriculture, forestry, natural resource management and similar.
- Experience and interest in Client Management and networking — people skills.
- Demonstrated interest or skills with commercial transactions and business acumen.
- Comfortable working with international and multicultural teams.
- Professional proficiency in English language skills, both oral and written.
- Proficiency with Google Suite and MS Office.
- Existing network and experience in NBS fields such as REDD+, Forestry, Conservation or Agriculture.
- Familiarity with carbon credits, emission reduction standards and methodologies, climate change mitigation actions and frameworks such as Net-Zero, Climate Neutrality, etc.
- Good understanding of commercial terms/structures and ideally experience with commercial negotiations.
- Experience in project screening and budgeting/financing.
- Native or fluent proficiency in French or Portuguese is highly beneficial (in addition to English).
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.