South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
You will be part of the Agricultural Value Chain (AVC) team. Your main contribution to the AVC team will be to support forestry activities, especially assessing the feasibility of forestry projects and carbon monitoring either to comply with the reporting needs of corporate forestry-related interventions in their agricultural value chain or to pursue carbon certification from renowned standards. You will play a key role in the development and overall management of proposals on agriculture value chain strategies, forestry and water stewardship, as well as in the implementation of projects, for which you will manage small project teams. You will be the main point of contact for the client and may also act as a collaborator, providing specific inputs or serving a specific role on a mandate.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead and/or collaborate in the implementation and management of carbon removal projects and/or emission reduction projects which include leading/drafting feasibility studies and project design documents, validation, monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) support under different standards (CDM, VERRA and national or local Standards) and/or corporate reporting standards (SBT) among other local and international carbon schemes
- Support AVC team members to calculate the carbon stored from forestry activities following good practices from recognised carbon certification standards and provide technical advice on the feasibility of forestry projects in terms of their planting design, implementation in the field and carbon potential
- Manage medium-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: proposal development, initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure
- Conduct site visits and travel to project locations whenever needed
- Develop proposals for the corporate sector on climate change strategies, forest conservation/rehabilitation projects, and GHG accounting in close collaboration with the Key Account Management team and senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation
- Interact and build relationships with our international, regional and local clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates
- For small advisory projects, occasionally provide high-level technical guidance and perform a technical review of proposals and deliverables
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support senior consulting and key account management teams in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- Topics of engagement may include: sustainability and corporate supply chain risks with a particular focus on climate, water and forests in agricultural supply chains
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, Forestry, Agronomy, Environmental Engineering, Corporate Sustainability, or related disciplines
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in Forestry and climate change and Sustainability consulting.
- Relevant knowledge in carbon certification standards especially conducting carbon calculations of forestry and forest conservation activities (including REDD+ actions)
- Relevant knowledge of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies, especially with the integration of sustainability in supply chains and agriculture
- Good knowledge of excel
- Good project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and ability to coordinate project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Good stakeholder and client management skills
- Excellent writing skills, with proven expertise in creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English and Spanish
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment and support different projects simultaneously while responding timely to colleagues and clients.
- Autonomous yet collaborative approach to work
- Excellent oral skills in English and Spanish
- A Master’s degree will be an advantage
- Knowledge of Gold Standard and Verra process mainly regarding forestry and REDD+ activities including stakeholder consultations
- Experience doing fieldwork in developing countries with a focus on forestry projects, capacity building, regenerative agriculture, alternative livelihoods and related topics
- Experience managing big data (e.g experience in R or similar is a plus)
- Knowledge of environmental sustainability issues in sectors such as palm oil, cocoa, coffee, and livestock
- Knowledge in GIS
- Experience in GHG accounting, LCA or similar
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Diligent, reliable, proactive and self-sufficient but collaborative approach to work
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Good prioritisation and time management skills
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.