South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions, we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Sourcing team works hand in hand with project owners and developers, active in the carbon markets and renewable energy space, to identify, negotiate and contract new emission reduction projects. By acquiring new projects within our portfolio, we ensure that South Pole always has the right mix of carbon credits available to meet the demands of our clients. If you’re an ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, this position may be right for you!
The Nature-based Solutions (NBS) Project, Sourcing Manager, will be responsible for structuring, negotiating and building new partnerships to develop emission reduction projects within Brazil. In this role, you will originate and develop business with implementation partners locally and globally, focusing on agriculture and forestry in Brazil. In addition, the NBS Project Sourcing Manager will work closely with the project development and implementation team with the technical issues related to emission reduction projects and the Structure Carbon Finance team to assess and potentially provide finance for project opportunities. You will be a key member of the Global Sourcing team and report to the Global Practice lead for NBS Sourcing and the Head of Sourcing LATAM. For South Pole, Brazil may include other Southern Cone countries such as Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, and Paraguay
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Structure and source new Emission Reduction projects that are eligible for carbon finance, especially forest conservation and restoration projects, as well as agriculture projects
- Negotiate and sign Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements and other relevant commercial contracts
- Drive business development, including targeted business meetings, leading pitching sessions, financial analysis and liaising with clients
- Develop relevant documentation and financial analysis, and commercial terms with Project Owners and the project implementation team as needed to facilitate investment into emission reduction project opportunities
- Proactively network with relevant organisations, including attending relevant gatherings and conferences and expanding the existing network
- Ensure efficient and effective implementation of South Pole’s Regional and Practice-based sourcing strategies
- Conduct research relevant to new project leads, project developers, project owners, relevant regulatory regimes/policies in Brazil
- Support coordination and collaboration with other teams within the South Pole globally in regards to project leads and opportunities
- Ensure that sourcing flows and processes (including documentation and interaction with other teams) are in line with the company guidelines
- A University degree in Agriculture, Forestry, Economics, or Business Administration, ideally with evidence of a focus on environmental or sustainability issues
- Relevant commercial experience, preferably in business development or an origination role in carbon markets and other environmental assets
- Strong experience and network in ideally forestry and/or agriculture, in more than one state in Brazil
- Strong track record in generating new business opportunities and closing deals in a portfolio worth millions of dollars
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships with clients and team members
- Consistent commercial acumen, business development, strong networking and stakeholder management skills
- Knowledge of legal and contract management aspects
- Entrepreneurial and proactive mindset, willingness to take initiative
- Excellent written and oral command of English
- National, or holder of a valid required work visa in the host country
- A Masters degree would be an advantage
- Knowledge of and experience with emission reduction project-based carbon standards, technologies, and project development processes
- Knowledge and experience of working with Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) opportunities
- A technical understanding of nature-based mitigation solutions would be a strong advantage and ideally a broad understanding of related regulations/policies in Brazil
- Good working knowledge of any relevant Brazilian language
- Broad understanding of global sustainability issues
- Experience working with a multicultural and ethnically diverse global company
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.