South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a part of the Australian Projects team, you will be accountable for delivering specific milestones proposed for projects under the Emission Reduction Fund (ERF) and other international standards (VERRA, The Gold Standard) and collaborating with other members of the Projects and Development team. You will assist in designing and developing certain milestones in carbon projects in the Forestry and Land Use sector, particularly in vegetation and forestry projects under the ERF and others as applicable. In addition, you will be responsible for providing operational support for carbon estimations and delivering high-quality products for specific milestones (project documents, monitoring reports and others). You will support the audit process for the validation and verification of GHG reductions. You will also participate in business rounds, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Responsible for the implementation and management of specific milestones in emission reduction projects which include leading/drafting feasibility studies and project design documents, validation, monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) support under different standards (ERF, VERRA, GS) among other local and international carbon schemes
- Assist in site visits and travel to project locations whenever needed
- Be a key point of contact and maintain a good relationship with the team members inside the company, project owners, clients, validation and verification bodies, and other counterparts
- Provide technical and business development support with project sourcing
- Assist in the preparation of proposals and deliverables and finalise them to the quality required by South Pole and the client
- Assist in drafting document content and structure to support the certification of the Project: proposals, work plans, work schedules, budgets and deliverables
- Draft invoices to be approved by the supervisor and sent to accounting for submission to clients
- Update proposal/project information in project management tool and ensure all relevant documents are accessible on the drive at any time
- Keep general information, milestones and cash flow in South Pole’s project management software up to date
- Provide operational support in the planning and development of site visits and other types of business trips/training
- Participate in internal and external workshops, webinars and conferences about emission reduction projects, standards and related topics, particularly those focused on vegetation management
- University Degree in forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, marine science, sustainability or climate change and carbon mitigation related fields
- Relevant work experience in Forestry, Sustainability Consulting or Climate Change Mitigation/Adaptation or related fields
- Demonstrable knowledge of and experience in forestry or revegetation/restoration projects in Australia
- Familiarity with carbon standards like ERF, VERRA, GS, CDM, etc.
- Ability to manage targets, priorities and develop own goals
- Ability to work on assignments that are diverse in nature, applying company policies, processes and procedures to resolve a variety of issues/problems
- The capacity to solve relatively complex project-related problems independently, and receive general direction on new assignments or projects
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English
- Have excellent communication skills, especially verbal and written skills in English
- Ability to manage targets and priorities and develop own goals
- National, or holder of a valid work visa in Australia
- Experience in evaluating carbon sequestration from vegetation projects is highly desirable
- A second language is considered a plus
- Good statistical skills
- Experience working with different stakeholders, such as landowners
- Experience working with Indigenous stakeholders, including negotiating native title agreements
- Indigenous and Torres Strait applicants are encouraged to apply
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.