South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Portfolio Management team oversees and develops business for the sale and trading of carbon credits and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). By working collaboratively with both our internal Sales and Projects teams, we play a crucial role in balancing the demand and supply of certificates, in order to best match the needs of our clients with our sourcing capabilities. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The purpose of this role is to lead South Pole’s Carbon Portfolio Management (sub-)practice within the global Portfolio practice. In this senior leadership role, you are accountable for overseeing all aspects of our internal portfolio management, in close coordination with the carbon credit sourcing and project development practices, and in alignment with the Company’s overall strategy. Through your vision and leadership, you will inspire our multifaceted teams worldwide to grow, manage, and optimise the carbon credit portfolio and thereby increase our market share while powerfully impacting the communities around us and the climate action movement as a whole.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Coordinate the environmental carbon credit management process within the Climate Projects business unit
- Partner closely with other functions, in particular, the global Sourcing and the global Project Development & Implementation team, to improve & share internal knowledge, identify inefficiencies and coordinate new processes
- Supervise the due diligence activities for trading projects, not developed by South Pole
- Develop and improve due diligence policies, processes and tools
- Supervise SDG quantification and equivalencies calculations for clients
- Supervise maintenance and quality checks of the internal carbon credit management tools
- Prepare management reports that allow detailed information on relevant portfolio information
- Closely coordinate with the Carbon Offering practice within the Portfolio practice and help to optimise the compilation of tailor-made project portfolios to meet clients’ requirements
- Participate in internal carbon credit pricing discussions with other units
- Drive innovation and entrepreneurship through leadership and decisive action
- Lead, manage and mentor a global Carbon Portfolio Management team
- Work closely with colleagues across the organisation to empower matrixed teams that deliver on our vision of climate action for all
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, Business or other relevant disciplines
- Relevant work experience, including experience in portfolio management, carbon credit procurement & trading, carbon project development/implementation, or business development roles within the sustainability sector, and in global leadership roles
- Deep knowledge and expertise in environmental markets
- Experience in establishing clear performance targets and metrics, with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding challenging targets
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to partner effectively with key internal and external stakeholders
- Strong quantitative skills and the ability to use data and metrics to inform decisions
- Experience managing cross-functional, high-performing, diverse, remote and global teams
- Exceptional leadership and managerial skills, with the ability to inspire action and get the best out of people
- Comfortable operating globally in a fast-paced, high-growth international environment
- Experience in scaling up a fast-growing organisation in the context of a highly competitive market environment
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.