South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
In your role as Legal Manager Climate Projects, you will act as a legal business partner for the Climate Projects business line (BL), operating worldwide. Within the global Legal and Compliance team, you will be supporting the BL with legal and contractual matters, to ensure that the BL can thrive in their daily operations. With your expertise, you identify (potential) legal risks and will proactively come with solutions to minimise risks.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Draft and review of various contracts in relation to climate projects including carbon project investment agreements, carbon project agreements, carbon credit purchase agreements and MOU’s.
- Support contract negotiations with contractual counter parties, taking the lead in such negotiations where necessary
- Provide legal support to various stakeholders of the Climate Projects business line in different jurisdictions
- Identify legal, commercial, technical and other risks that may have legal implications for the company and propose possible solutions to avoid or mitigate such risks
- Advice on how to manage and solve legal issues that have materialised
- Provide legal support in case of any legal proceeding against the company or that the company has filed against clients, suppliers or third parties
- Ensure compliance of our business operations with the relevant laws and regulations
Minimum Master’s Degree in Law
- Expected to have at least 5 years of legal and contractual experience, of which some in an international company covering several jurisdictions
- Strong legal experience in commercial matters
- Experience in structuring and negotiating long term investment agreements
- Advanced commercial and operational acumen
- Ability to perform contract risk analysis to focus on actual risks and to propose pragmatic alternatives while advising the Business Line
- Experience in commodities
- Excellent English skills, any other language are considered a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Previous experience working in the environmental sector would be preferred
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.