South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
South Pole provides a wide range of services within environmental impact accounting and climate neutrality. At the core of this are state-of-the-art accounting methodologies, internal databases and processes for managing data and emission factors. We are now recruiting a Consultant with a particular focus on these topics, who will be integrated into the consultancy team.
The goal of the role is to assist key staff with ensuring that South Pole’s internal databases are reliable, accurate, complete and user-friendly for the consultancy team. This includes coordinating input from all of our regional offices with regards to local emission factors, as well as other regional data that will be used for measuring impact across practices in the Climate Strategies business line. You will be collecting and processing inputs, but also serve as the point of communication for consultants and other employees to answer requests with regards to different emission factors and other data sources. Part of the database management role means preparing datasets to be integrated into our own platforms, so coordination with the developer team at South Pole will also be required. In addition, you may support ongoing projects acting as a consultant in the EIA team.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage relevant data-bases, in particular the emission factor databases, including annual updates
- Develop methodologies for assessing climate impact in case data is lacking
- Research on climate assessment
- Support South Pole’s teams, such as consultancy, business development and IT on topics related to the data-bases and methodologies
- Creating processes for data management and quality assurance
- Manage medium-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole
- Support senior consulting and key account management teams in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings
- Topics of engagement besides GHG and other impact accounting may include:
- Climate change mitigation
- Science Based Targets (SBTs)
- Risk assessment and TCFD
- Materiality assessment
- Energy efficiency
- Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Renewable energy strategies
- Supply chain risks
- Water stewardship
- Climate neutral applications
- University degree in engineering, sustainability, environmental engineering, IT related or other environmental engineering related disciplines
- Relevant work experience in IT or related energy/sustainability consulting fields
- Technical knowledge and capabilities in the following areas: GHG accounting in line with best practice methodologies; LCA / Scope 3 emissions accounting
- Experience in data management and data quality assurance
- Good project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context
- Good writing skills, with proven expertise in creating and reviewing high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables)
- Good stakeholder and client management skills
- Good oral and written skills in English
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge and/or practical experience in climate neutrality certification
- Familiarity with topics such as target setting (SBTs); disclosure (e.g. CDP, TCFD); benchmarking / materiality assessment; water stewardship; plastics are a clear plus
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment
- Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications and database management, Google Suite and programming languages (e.g. R, Python, SQL or VBA)
- Interest in climate change, environmental and sustainability issues
- Enjoy working in a young emerging team with big ambitions
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.