South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Portfolio Management team oversees and develops business for the sale and trading of carbon credits and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). By working collaboratively with both our internal Sales and Projects teams, we play a crucial role in balancing the demand and supply of certificates, in order to best match the needs of our clients with our sourcing capabilities. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The Procurement and Trading team is looking for a motivated and talented market risk
analyst to help further build out our activities in the carbon market, one of the world’s
fastest developing commodity markets. Your focus will be to develop, build and maintain
a suite of risk reporting tools, such as but not limited to position and P&L reports, stress
and scenario tests, as well as develop a broader market risk framework together with
the senior members of the procurement and trading team. Considering the fast growth
of the company, the carbon markets and the trading department in particular, we would
expect this position to develop into a leading role in a team of analysts over time.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Develop, build and maintain a scalable suite of risk reporting tools
- P&L reports
- Position reports
- Stress tests
- Scenario tests
- Value at Risk reports
- Other risk measures deemed appropriate
- Develop, build and maintain processes and systems to manage trading activity
on commodity exchanges
- Together with senior members of the team propose a broader market risk
framework including but not limited to position limits, stop-loss limits, etc.
- Further professionalise market risk measurement and control within the
- Provide senior management with regular reports on key performance and risk
- Perform and present regularly ad-hoc analyses for senior management
- Critically monitor and report on trading strategies and performance as executed by the commercial staff
- Graduate/masters degree, preferably in a quantitative field such as engineering, mathematics, science, or finance
- Experience working as a risk analyst for a (commodity) trading desk of a bank, trading company, or investment firm is essential
- Proven numerical and analytical skills, and experience with MS Excel or Google Sheets is essential
- Demonstrable knowledge of (commodity) trading markets is essential, experience in carbon markets ideal
- Experience with reporting and visualisation tools such as Tableau, Google Data Studio as well as coding skills (Java, VBA) is preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong commercial awareness
- Able to exert positive influence in a matrixed organisation, be a strong
collaborator and communicator
- Fluency in English is required
- Entrepreneurial and proactive mindset, willingness to take initiative
- Passionate about the climate and sustainability
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.