South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Corporate Functions team is the “enablement engine” of South Pole. Behind the scenes, we provide the business with world-class solutions and best practices that sustain business growth and success. We cover key areas such as Finance, HR, Office Management, Legal, IT, Operations, etc. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
A senior compliance manager is responsible for ensuring a company's policies and procedures comply with regulatory and ethical standards, international standards, and accepted business practices. You will work in a diverse and international unit engaged directly with business line directors and team leads across the globe covering any compliance related topics. Reporting to the Head of Legal & Compliance, you will be given ownership of owning the compliance agenda at the South Pole. This includes but not limits to building compliance programs, ensuring data privacy and GDPR compliance, risk mapping and registering. You will ensure that all projects that you are leading are implemented as agreed upon, while adhering to a high standard of quality and committed timeline, milestones, and deliverables. This is a fast paced role that requires cross company collaboration.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Uphold the ethical integrity of the organization and ensure that business activities are conducted using a regulatory framework
- Responsible for developing compliance programs, reviewing company policies, and advising management on possible legal and regulatory risks
- Create a compliance resource library for staff to reference when they have questions, including up to date policy guidelines
- Advise on the company’s compliance with laws and regulations
- Research into newly emerging carbon trading markets and their regulation
- Prepare training of employees on the latest regulations and processes to ensure departments meet compliance requirements. Coordination with HR to ensure appropriate online compliance training is delivered to employees
- Audit company procedures, practices, and documents to identify possible weaknesses or risks
- Create and manage action plans (whistleblowing processes etc) in response to audit discoveries and compliance violations
- Assess company operations to determine compliance risk (conduct risk assessment and risk mapping)
- Facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of anti corruption, Anti Money Laundering activities, and Know Your Counterpart Screening
- Coordinate South Pole’s Risk Management process through review and analysis of South Pole’s Risk Register. Regular reporting of progress on mitigation measures to the Audit and Risk Committee, and coordination with Risk Owners
- Reporting and coordination of other key risk areas such as GDPR
- Develop and oversee control systems to prevent or deal with violations of legal guidelines and internal policies
- Continuously analyse and improve processes and tools to make them more efficient, user-friendly, and accessible
- Collaborate and maintain continuous communication with HR, Finance and other departments
- Create reports for senior management and external stakeholders
- A university degree in in law, finance, business administration or related field
- Relevant compliance work experience that includes reviewing compliance policies, conducting compliance audits and building compliance programs
- Experience in mapping the risks
- Experience in working within an international and multicultural context
- A proactive, methodical and diligent approach with outstanding planning abilities
- Professionalism and high ethical standards are expected for this position
- Problem-solving skills; solutions focused approach
- Excellent personal relationships, enjoy working with and supporting others
- English fluency and strong writing skills are a must
- Master Degree
- Experience in working in a fast-paced international environment
- Familiarity with carbon markets and environmental asset management
- Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP) would be a plus
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.