South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
South Pole is looking for an Associate Director acting as the Regional Lead in Asia to drive business development in the region and ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy assignments with international, regional and/or national clients. Topics to be covered by the position include climate change policies and carbon pricing, NDC implementation and reporting, the design of financing instruments and climate finance strategies as well as cooperative approaches under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement.
You will be fully accountable for the development and overall management of proposals to secure funding for such assignments, as well as for their implementation, for which you will supervise various project teams. As the Regional Lead for Asia, you will also leverage your vast technical expertise to drive business development activities, generate new leads and contribute to consultancy assignments. In addition, you will contribute to growing the team in the region and, more broadly, developing South Pole services to address sustainability challenges. Short-listed candidates will be recognised experts in the field of climate policy, finance and/or carbon markets with a proven track record of supervising complex assignments and with strong experience working with public institutions and development agencies in Asia.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead and be accountable for the planning, management and execution of complex and strategic consulting assignments for corporate and public sector clients on topics related to climate change policies and carbon pricing, NDC implementation and reporting, the design of financing instruments and climate finance strategies as well as cooperative approaches under Article 6 of the Paris Agreement
- Provide supervision and guidance on international, regional and/or national consulting assignments and proposals, as well as lead their technical review
- Represent South Pole at regional events and lead the development of new business opportunities in the Asia region
- Interact and build relationships with our local and international clients, and contribute to the winning and timely delivery of consulting assignments
- Contribute to the growth of the team in Asia and manage a growing team of consultants in a multi-cultural and multi-geography context
- Participate in business strategy and leadership-relevant internal discussions to position our consulting activities within South Pole's overall business and offering
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field
- Recognised expertise and intricate knowledge of climate policy and carbon markets, as well as ideally experience on climate finance and climate finance assessments and solutions
- Relevant work experience of minimum 10 years, at least partly in consulting
- Excellent technical project management skills and proven track record of leading teams for the successful delivery of high-quality work
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills, including ability to lead an assignment from contract negotiation to final deliverables
- Strong commercial skills and good business acumen needed to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- Leadership and strategic management experience with a willingness to grow a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with specific communication experience to senior decision makers (such as C-Suite) and across a range of stakeholders
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders such as governments, development finance institutions, development agencies, and other public or private donors/stakeholders, particularly in Asia
- Excellent working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Experience working with and implementing activities with large multilateral funding mechanisms and/or multi-stakeholder platforms
- Significant track record of securing funding through responding to tenders from public institutions and development agencies from a variety of donor agencies
- Knowledge of and/or experience with nature-based solutions and/or carbon capture and removal technologies
- Track record of contributing to high quality research papers, thought leadership pieces or publications
- Mastery of regionally-relevant language(s)
- Diligent, reliable and proactive. Fully comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.