South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
The Fund Management team is responsible for developing and managing sustainable impact funds, as well as other facilities, vehicles and platforms for investments in climate action. Our scope of expertise covers a variety of topics related to sustainable land-use, low-carbon energy, climate-smart cities and/or clean technology, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
Philanthropy and public sector partnerships enable South Pole to carry out its mission to accelerate the transition to a climate-smart society. Our newly established Funding Team in South Pole’s Innovation Unit is looking for an experienced Fundraising & partnerships manager to lead on South Pole’s strategic partnerships with US-based Foundations. The Fundraising and Partnerships Lead (Americas) is a new role in the team, and the successful candidate will be responsible for securing funding from US- and Latin America-based Foundations and Public sector funders, including impact investments for climate impact funds, grants for multi-stakeholder climate action platforms, and developing and delivering long term, high-value strategic partnerships on climate projects and innovative climate finance solutions.
Over the past years, South Pole developed a number of valued relationships with leading philanthropic foundations and public sector funders, so you will pick up and manage a number of existing accounts, in addition to building a pipeline for developing new relationships. You will lead on building and developing relationships with Foundations and Public sector funders in the US and Latin America, positioning South Pole as the partner of choice for strategic advisory, impact investments, grants and project development. Using your excellent organisational and networking skills you will also represent South Pole when attending events and develop and grow your local networks.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Develop and lead on the regional fundraising and partnership strategy for US and Latin America-based Foundations and Public sector funders, including researching, identifying, and approaching prospective new partners.
- Proactively build strong relationships with your portfolio of US and Latin America-based Foundations and Public sector funders, creating opportunities to maximise impact and developing long-term strategic partnerships.
- Lead on grant management, contracting and reporting, working closely with colleagues across South Pole to ensure monitoring and evaluation meets the requirements of funders and conditions of all funding are complied with.
- Building strong relationships with other teams within South Pole in order to understand the work and projects and identify and build compelling cases for support.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the wider Funding Team strategy, working closely with other colleagues in the team.
- Build relationships with peers who can share knowledge and experience.
- A bachelor's degree or higher, ideally with a focus on climate and/or sustainable development.
- Relevant work experience (the expectation is a minimum of 10 years) in strategic partnership development and/or fundraising with US and Latin America-based Foundations and Public sector funders, ideally with a focus on climate and/or sustainable development.
- Outstanding written communication skills, with proven expertise in structuring persuasive cases for support and creating high-quality written proposals and reports.
- Experience of obtaining and managing funding partnerships with US and Latin America-based Foundations and Public sector funders, securing 6- and 7-figure grants and/or impact investments.
- Demonstrable experience of maximising opportunities, from researching prospects to generating meetings, developing highly personalised relationships along the way.
- Knowledge of current fundraising methods, best practices, and experience with online databases and/or client relationship management tools such as Salesforce.
- Ability to work independently, managing own time, deadlines and priorities in a small but growing team.
- Outstanding relationship builder and networker both internally and externally.
- Positive “can do” attitude and willingness to support others where needed and work across both high-level strategic tasks, as well as smaller administrative tasks.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English.
- Demonstrated interest, enthusiasm and passion for climate action and sustainable development.
- Experience working with US and Latin America-based Foundations and Public sector funders.
- Good understanding of, or experience in, environmental sustainability and/or sustainable development.
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential funders such as US and Latin America-based Foundations and Public sector funders
- Good working knowledge of Google Suite applications.
- Good people and team management skills with the ambition to grow and manage a regional team over time.
- Able to work flexible hours where needed as the central team and key colleagues are based in Europe.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.