South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Portfolio Management team oversees and develops business for the sale and trading of carbon credits and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). By working collaboratively with both our internal Sales and Projects teams, we play a crucial role in balancing the demand and supply of certificates, in order to best match the needs of our clients with our sourcing capabilities. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
This is a unique opportunity for a talented market analyst in the carbon market, one of the world’s fastest developing commodity markets Your focus will be to analyse supply and demand for (voluntary) carbon credits, and develop tradable spot and forward price curves. Other products you will be analysing are renewable energy certificates, biogas, and other environmental commodities. Considering the fast growth of the company and the environmental markets, we would expect this position to develop into a team of analysts over time. As the market and our insights further develop, we expect you to propose and execute trading strategies that would enable the company to commercially optimise her portfolio.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Analyse supply and demand for carbon credits and related environmental products
- Responsible for developing pricing models for spot and forward price expectations
- Liaise with the trading desk, the sales team and other relevant teams to gain insight into fundamental and quantitative developments of critical cost components of our portfolio
- Continuously improve and align our common modelling and forecasting approaches across markets and teams
- Create an analysis framework including dashboards, reports and visualisation tools where needed
- Support in strategic advice for short and long term investments
- Perform and present regularly ad-hoc analysis for senior management
- Undergraduate/bachelor’s degree, preferably in a quantitative field such as engineering, mathematics, science, or finance
- 2-3 years experience working as analyst at a (commodity) trading desk in a bank, trading house, or investment firm
- Demonstrable knowledge in carbon markets is preferred
- Demonstrable experience with reporting and visualisation tools such as Tableau, Google Data Studio as well as coding skills (Java, VBA) are preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and eye for business
- Able to exert positive influence in a matrixed organisation, be a strong collaborator and communicator
- Demonstrate initiative, adaptability and problem-solving skills in an ambiguous and dynamic environment
- Entrepreneurial and proactive mindset, willingness to take initiative.
- Fluency in English
- Previous experience as financial / pricing analyst
- Passionate about the climate and sustainability
- You need to be ambitious, humble, kind, fair
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.