South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
The Fund Management team is responsible for developing and managing sustainable impact funds, as well as other facilities, vehicles and platforms for investments in climate action. Our scope of expertise covers a variety of topics related to sustainable land-use, low-carbon energy, climate-smart cities and/or clean technology, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
In this role, you would primarily manage a multi-year program of providing technical and financial assistance to developers of clean energy technology in Asia. Leading an international team, you would support and provide advice to a range of companies, helping increase their likelihood of attracting investment and improving their sustainability impact.
As well as leading South Pole’s input in this Technical Assistance facility, the role will also require strategic oversight and development of South Pole’s energy and infrastructure finance activities and offerings in Southeast Asia. The position includes Business Development activities, aiming to acquire new mandates and increase South Pole’s global impact.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage a Technical Assistance facility that supports project developers of clean energy projects (renewable energy, energy efficiency, grid management and storage) to make them investable for a dedicated fund. As part of the implementation of the mandate, you will be responsible for:
- Leading an international team composed of internal and external experts and organisations
- Leadership and oversight in the implementation of technical, legal and financial advisory to clean energy project developers (with focus on environmental and social assessment, carbon market advisory and power purchase agreements)
- Design of project work plans, schedules, budgets and delivery of financial and technical status reports to the client
- Financial and administrative oversight of the facility
- Interaction with the client, the fund manager and other investors
- Support the development of South Pole’s strategy and service offering in the field of Clean Energy Finance, with a focus on Southeast Asia
- Oversee the development of business, including Expressions of Interest and winning proposals to acquire consultancy and fund management mandates in Southeast Asia and potentially other countries; participate in client-facing events and meetings, speak about relevant topics and represent South Pole and its services
- A minimum Master’s degree, ideally with some post-graduate work in Engineering, Finance, Business Administration or sustainability-related disciplines
- Relevant work experience (the expectation is at least 10 years) in project development, management, consultancy related to clean energy and carbon markets
- Ability to manage a team of more than 10 members (internal and/or external collaborators) on specific projects/consultancy mandates
- Experience managing project budgets of over 1M USD in size
- Strong technical, financial and, if possible, legal expertise on clean energy and carbon market projects
- Know-how on how to assess Sustainable Development Goals
- Commercial skills and good business sense to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment
- A strong network of technical experts, project developers, investors, engineering companies and other relevant stakeholders in Southeast Asia
- Proven ability to create high quality written documents (technical deliverables and non-technical summaries) in English
- Excellent oral command of English (and professional proficiency in other major languages in Southeast Asia is of advantage)
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make and South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.