South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a part of the Australian Projects team, you will be accountable for the delivery of all milestones proposed for projects under the Emission Reduction Fund (ERF) and other international standards, such as VERRA and Gold Standard, collaborating with other members of the Projects and Development team around the world.
You will be responsible for designing and developing carbon projects in the Forestry and Land Use sector, focusing on Agricultural Land Management (ALM) and Wetlands Restoration and Conservation (WRC) project types. In addition, you will be responsible for developing carbon estimations and delivering high-quality products (project documents, monitoring reports and others) in English. You will assist in the audit process for validation and verification of GHG reductions. You will participate in business rounds, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Responsible for supporting the implementation and management of emission reduction projects which includes leading/drafting feasibility studies and project design documents, validation, monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) support under different standards (ERF,CMD, VERRA, GS) among other local and international carbon schemes.
- Conduct site visits and travels to project locations whenever needed
- Be a key point of contact and maintain a good relationship with the team members inside the company, project owners, clients, validation and verification bodies (auditors), and other counterparts
- Provide technical and business development support with project sourcing
- Follow up with the internal procedures in our internal project management tool regarding all signed ERPAs
- Prepare proposals and deliverables and finalize them to the quality required by South Pole and the client.
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of the project: proposals, work plans, work schedules, budgets and deliverables.
- Schedule Technical Reviews and Quality Checks .
- Ensure that all collaborators receive ongoing training and that they have the necessary skills and tools to perform their work
- Keep the team members (collaborators) informed of their progress in the project and remind them to stay within the time and budget agreed
- Draft invoices to be approved by the supervisor and sent to accounting for submission to clients
- Manage project owner’s accounts in our internal project management tool
- Update proposal/project information in project management tool and ensure all relevant documents are accessible on the drive at any time
- Keep general information, milestones and cash flow in the project management software up to date
- Plan and develop of site visits and other types of business trips/training
- University Degree in forestry, agriculture, natural resource management, sustainability or climate change and carbon mitigation related fields
- At least 3 years of work experience in Agriculture, Forestry, Sustainability Consulting, Climate Change Mitigation/Adaptation or related fields
- Familiarity with carbon standards like ERF, CDM, VERRA, GS, etc.
- Ability to work on assignments that are diverse in nature, applying company policies, processes and procedures to resolve a variety of issues/problems.
- The capacity to solve relatively complex project-related problems independently, and receive general direction on new assignments or projects
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English
- Have excellent communication skills, especially verbal and written skills in English
- Ability to manage targets and priorities and develop own goals
- National, or holder of a valid work visa in Australia
- Demonstrable knowledge of and experience in evaluating carbon sequestration through nature-based projects (highly desirable)
- A second language is consider a plus
- Good statistical skills
- Experience working with different stakeholders
- Indigenous and Torres Strait applicants are encouraged to apply
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.