South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a Senior Project Coordinator, you will support the Sourcing, Project Development and Project Implementation teams in Europe. As part of the sourcing activities, you will contribute to the European sourcing strategy, the management of partnerships, and the technical evaluation of business opportunities. As part of the project management, you will evaluate suitable methodologies and estimate the potential emission reductions and the development of the entire project cycles. You will ensure that projects are implemented and delivered as scheduled while upholding quality standards. Furthermore, you will support the Design for Implementation (DI) and Implementation (I) activities of projects in Europe. Within this role, you will be responsible for designing upfront investment plans and own-risk investments to implement Nature Based Solution Projects.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Lead the entire project development cycle of 2-3 European projects; initial project assessments, PPD development, MRV, Design for Implementation, data collection, and MR reporting
- Build relationships and maintain good communication with the client, Project Owner, and DOE (third party independent auditor and certifier)
- Organize field excursions and conduct project field visits and stakeholder meetings, where required
- Work closely with Project Implementation team responsible for client relationships management and submission of implementation proposals to project proponents
- Support sourcing activities and identify innovative and scalable Nature Based Solution activities, including low emission technologies and low carbon land use management practices, biodiversity offsetting alternatives for project development and its implementation in Europe
- Carry out project feasibility assessments and provide technical advice to evaluate viable business models for Nature Based Solutions (mitigation, biodiversity compensation) projects in Europe
- Develop basic revenue models for new Nature Based Solution projects dealing with technologies and practice changes such as forest and ecosystem rewilding, afforestation, sustainable uses of harvested wood products, other forestry and land use management and biodiversity
- Assist with technical inputs to tenders and proposal as well as project info requests to Consultancy and Services team and the marketing team
- When requested, support project teams in other offices with sourcing, proposal preparation, and project development and implementation cycle
- Preferably Master degree in Business, Economy or Environmental sciences - other relevant training will be considered
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Forestry or Environmental Sciences
- A minimum of 3 years of working experience in project management, implementation or related fields
- Excellent knowledge in forest carbon modelling, and/or field experience in forestry/landscape management - including biodiversity, endemic species, regeneration, community/ stakeholder engagement and agroforestry
- Good understanding of forest land ownership and legal tenure arrangements across European countries for both public/commercial forestry systems, including private forest and community land management - including conservation and regeneration perspectives
- Practical experience with forest data collection, remote sensing for forestry and GHG inventories and laboratory field testing is an asset
- Knowledge of IPCC methodologies across sectors, in particular, the Agriculture, Forestry and land use (AFOLU) sector, is an asset
- Familiarity with environmental technology, circular economy, payment for ecosystem services, and/or mitigation/adaptation measures in Europe
- Excellent oral English skills, fluent in writing
- German, French and/or Spanish are considered an asset
- Proactive and social attitude
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.