South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Portfolio Management team oversees and develops business for the sale and trading of carbon credits and Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). By working collaboratively with both our internal Sales and Projects teams, we play a crucial role in balancing the demand and supply of certificates, in order to best match the needs of our clients with our sourcing capabilities. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The purpose of this role is to support South Pole’s Business Development in the Structured Carbon Deals business practice. In this senior manager role, you will be involved in all aspects of business development within the Projects & Markets business line, including large-scale multi-year carbon deals with a long-term focus, structured carbon project finance opportunities, and carbon credit procurement facilities. You will lead the development of new Projects & Markets business opportunities across both public and private sectors. You will contribute to the development of South Pole’s vision for the Projects & Markets Business Development function, in alignment with the Company’s overall ambition and strategy. Through your engagement, you will drive business growth and increase our market share while powerfully impacting the communities around us and the climate action movement as a whole.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Support, represent and communicate the Projects & Markets Business Development strategy for Structured Carbon Deals and closely align with the organisation’s global goals and objectives
- Develop a list of potential clients in key industries defined within the team’s mandate.
- Structure and close long term, complex and strategic deals with both public and private sector clients
- Partner closely with other functions, particularly the global Portfolio Management team and the Project Development team and the Global Sourcing team, to optimise the management of existing large deals and the structuring of new ones.
- Understand client needs, gather market intelligence and identify industry trends.
- Serve as an environmental markets expert in client meetings, exhibitions and other corporate events and represent South Pole in different forums on environmental markets.
- Contribute to building high-performing teams and efficient processes to continuously satisfy the needs of our clients while achieving South Pole’s profitability goals.
- Work closely with colleagues across the organisation to empower matrixed teams that deliver on our vision of climate action for all.
- University degree in Environmental Sciences, Business or another relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 5 -7 years of relevant work experience, including several years of experience in business development roles within the sustainability sector and global leadership roles.
- Deep knowledge and expertise in environmental markets, especially in voluntary carbon markets.
- Experience in establishing clear performance targets and metrics, with a proven track record of meeting or exceeding challenging targets.
- Strategic mindset, with the ability to establish a compelling vision for our Business Development function.
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to structure and negotiate commercially sound and profitable deals for South Pole.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills to partner effectively with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent financial and planning skills, with experience leading strategy and budgeting processes
- Strong quantitative skills and the ability to use data and metrics to inform decisions.
- Experience managing cross-functional, high-performing, diverse, remote and global teams.
- Exceptional leadership skills, with the ability to inspire action and get the best out of people.
- Comfortable operating globally in a fast-paced, high-growth international environment.
- Experience in scaling up a fast-growing organisation in the context of a highly competitive market environment
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.