South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
The goal of the Managing Consultant is to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality consultancy advice to international, regional and/or local clients on sustainability topics for the corporate sector. You will be accountable for the development and overall management of proposals on agriculture supply chain strategies and water stewardship, as well as for the implementation of projects for which you will supervise small project teams. You will provide technical guidance to the project teams and act as the main point of contact for the client. In addition, you will contribute to the development of new products and solutions at South Pole to address sustainability challenges.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise medium- to large-size sustainability consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure.
- Plan and implement projects to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation.
- Interact and build relationships with our international, regional and/or local clients and manage the timely delivery of mandates.
- Develop proposals for the corporate sector on agriculture supply chain strategies and water stewardship with the Key Account Management team and with senior consulting professionals to support business development activities for the company.
- Provide guidance on and technical leadership in developing proposals and implementing advisory projects, as well as lead their technical review.
- Develop and improve specialised skills and knowledge linked to the topics and services offered by South Pole.
- Support the practice team in further developing South Pole’s thought leadership, services, products, marketing materials and offerings.
- Lead and directly manage small teams of consultants in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Topics of engagement may include: sustainability and corporate supply chain risks with particular focus on climate, water and forests in agricultural supply chains.
- Participate in business strategy and leadership relevant internal discussions to position our consulting activities within South Pole's overall business and offering Topics of engagement may include:
- GHG accounting and disclosure, climate change mitigation
- Science Based Targets (SBTs)
- Risk assessment and TCFD
- Materiality assessment
- Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- University degree, ideally at a Master’s level or higher, in a sustainability-related field in Environmental Sciences, Agronomy, Environmental Engineering or related disciplines.
- Relevant knowledge of environmental sustainability challenges in multinational companies, especially with the integration of sustainability in supply chains and agriculture.
- Relevant work experience (the expectation is a minimum of 5 years) in sustainability consulting or related fields, with specific consultancy experience in sustainability and corporate supply chain risks with particular focus on climate, water and forests in agricultural supply chains
- Specific consultancy experience in GHG accounting and disclosure, climate change mitigation, setting of SBTs, risk assessments and TCFD, materiality assessments, LCAs, and SDGs
- Advanced project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Proven expertise in autonomously creating high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables).
- Industry-relevant connections, with a network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders.
- Advanced stakeholder and client management skills.
- Industry-relevant connections, with a substantial network of potential clients, collaborators and other relevant stakeholders.
- Sound understanding of environmental sustainability challenges and specific consultancy experience in the relevant areas of the practice.
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
Practical experience in:
- Monitoring and quantification of environmental impacts along the supply chain on climate, water and forests -with agricultural supply chains in tropical countries and project development/program management.
- Sustainable procurement, change management and sustainability strategy development.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word.
- Diligent, reliable, proactive and self-sufficient but collaborative approach to work.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment.
- Advanced prioritisation and time management skills.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.