South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Digital & Data Science team helps our clients and South Pole design and execute the most ambitious and scalable climate impact initiatives whilst reducing the administrative effort to zero. Our unique track record of running projects across the globe and delivering verified, high quality carbon credits provides us with valuable data we can leverage to identify new, high impact initiatives. We help companies on a day-to-day basis to drive their carbon neutral strategies with their customers, suppliers and their employees through analytics and sustainability software solutions. If you have the skills, ambition and drive to use the best of digital and AI to protect ecosystems, restore forests, drive sustainable agriculture, and enable climate zero journeys across the globe then please apply or register your interest now!
If you are looking to combine actionable insights, with real impact, this role is for you. As a Climate Impact Data Scientist, you will help tackle key questions that our clients have about the opportunities and risks that climate impacts have on their business models. In support of this quest, you will execute different types of analytics, build dashboards and help develop recommenders for best actions. In the process you will interact with and find ways to handle data from different sources such as raw climate model data, vulnerability data, facility information, GIS data and more. This will give you first hand experience in delivering insights to enable the most promising business models at the forefront of climate mitigation. And you will be part of the rapidly growing tribe of digital innovators at South Pole.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Implementation of complex data projects: Write scripts in python to access, enrich, clean, process and present data to address climate risk challenges
- Supervision and implementation of projects facilitating the google cloud computing environment
- Development of automated workflows and building dashboards using python, sql and tableau
- Design, development and maintenance of database applications (sql)
- Collaborate closely with consultants and business developers to understand the goals and issues of the respective departments. Challenge their proposed solutions, and come up with creative alternative solutions that best support the business
- Explore and suggest new tools and methods to achieve maximal efficiency in data management
- Education in Engineering, Economics, Natural Sciences, IT, or any other relevant field that enabled the candidate to develop the core knowledge and skills
- Work experience in this field of expertise
- The following skills are a plus: Postgres, machine learning algorithms and tools, Natural Language Processing, google app maker, SOAP and/or data scraping
- Eagerness to understand and dive into the climate science and climate risk topic and define and address the data science aspect for our clients
- Excellent planning and time management skills
- Oral and written command of English, other languages are advantages
- Self-driven and able to propose new ideas and take initiatives
- Comfortable working in an international fast-paced environment
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.