South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all continents across the globe, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Consultancy & Advisory Services team provides our clients with outstanding technical expertise that enables the successful implementation of complex sustainability projects. Our expertise spans across multiple topics including land and water management, climate strategies, renewable energies, environmental impact assessments, green products, climate policy, carbon pricing, climate finance, and sustainable finance, to name just a few. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
South Pole’s environmental impact accounting and climate neutrality services are growing at pace to help meet increasing demand from our clients. Across the business, an exciting transformation towards increased digitalisation of our services is underway, helping us to deliver climate solutions at pace and at scale. We are now recruiting for a dedicated Carbon Digitalisation Lead to help drive this transformation within our environmental impact accounting practice.
The goal of the Lead Consultant Carbon Digitalisation is twofold 1) to act as the technical lead in the development of South Pole's digital carbon footprint solutions which enable companies to easily determine their carbon footprint, set carbon reduction targets and track the CO2 reductions achieved; and 2) to standardise consultancy service implementation with regard to impact accounting and South Pole’s climate neutrality labels to scale impact and set us up for strong growth.
You will proactively lead the development of digital solutions and standardisation approaches on business development and implementation for our carbon footprinting and climate neutrality consulting activities towards SME clients. At the same time, you will be fully accountable for the development and overall management of proposals on GHG accounting for SMEs and for the implementation of such projects, for which you will supervise project teams of varying sizes. You will provide technical guidance to the project teams on climate neutrality label requirements, claims and GHG accounting. Over time you will further grow your own regional implementation team.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise GHG accounting and climate neutrality consulting mandates throughout their entire project cycle: initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure. Plan and implement GHG accounting projects for local/regional SME clients, managing small teams of consultants to ensure the most efficient and highest-quality implementation.
- Proactively lead all aspects of regional business development for SME clients on GHG Accounting and climate neutrality, including assessing the relevance of leads and providing technical support to the regional Key Account Management teams with the development of existing and new client relationships and proposals.
- Identify and determine processes and ways to standardise impact accounting and coordinate closely with our Marketing team on integration into our automated CPQ (Configure, Price, Quote) Salesforce system.
- Topics of engagement besides GHG and other impact accounting may include: climate change mitigation, Science Based Targets (SBTs), risk assessment and TCFD, materiality assessment, energy efficiency, Life Cycle Analysis (LCA), Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), renewable energy strategies, supply chain risks, water stewardship, plastics, climate neutral applications.
- Innovate our thinking on digitalisation of consultancy solutions, acting as the regional technical lead helping to drive forward our digital carbon footprinting solution.
- University degree in engineering, environmental engineering, IT related or other environmental engineering related disciplines.
- Relevant work experience (the expectation is a minimum of 3 years) in IT or related energy/sustainability consulting fields.
- Deep technical knowledge and capabilities in the following areas: GHG accounting in line with best practice methodologies; LCA / Scope 3 emissions accounting; climate neutrality labels
- Knowledge about climate neutrality, the process, available certification schemes and standards
- Experience in standardisation and automatisation of products and services, e.g. with Salesforce CPQ. Experience in designing and implementing digital sustainability solutions
- Excellent project management skills, from both a technical and administrative standpoint, and proven ability to guide project teams in a multi-stakeholder and multi-geographies context.
- Excellent writing skills, with proven expertise in creating and reviewing high-quality written documents (proposals and deliverables).
- Excellent stakeholder and client management skills.
- Demonstrable commercial skills and good business sense so as to be able to identify and seize opportunities in a challenging and competitive market environment.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English, and desirably conversational/fluent in either French or Dutch
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Practical experience in climate neutrality certification
- Familiarity with topics such as target setting (SBTs); disclosure (e.g. CDP, TCFD); benchmarking / materiality assessment; water stewardship; plastics are a clear plus.
- Good working knowledge of all Google Suite applications and MS Word.
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced international environment.
- Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications and database management, Google Suite and programming languages (e.g. R, Python, SQL or VBA).
- Experience reducing complex challenges to simple solutions.
- Interest in climate change, environmental and sustainability issues.
- Enjoy working in a young emerging team with big ambitions.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.