South Pole is an energetic, global company offering comprehensive sustainability solutions and services. With offices spanning all six continents, we strive to create a sustainable society and economy that positively impacts our climate, ecosystems and developing communities. With our solutions we inspire and enable our customers to create value from sustainability-related activities.
Our Project Development team is at the forefront of developing and managing climate mitigation activities. By working closely with project owners and developers as well as their local communities, we manage the complete registration, verification and evaluation of carbon projects to enable the issuance of emission-reduction certificates, in line with official carbon standards. If you are a smart, ambitious and dynamic sustainability professional with a strong passion to make a real difference in the fight against climate change, the below position may be right for you!
As a part of the Projects team, you will be accountable for the delivery of all milestones proposed for projects under various carbon standards and collaborate with other members of the Projects and Development team around the world. You will be responsible for the design and development of carbon projects, ensuring efficient and effective delivery of carbon emission reductions and renewable energy certificates, as well as other climate change advisories. In addition, you will be responsible for developing carbon estimations and delivering high quality products (project documents, monitoring reports and others) in English and Mandarin Chinese and will assist in the audit process for the validation and verification of GHG reductions. You will participate in business rounds, technical sessions, site visits, and other relevant events.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Responsible for the implementation and management of the emission reduction projects which includes leading/drafting feasibility studies and project design documents, validation, monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) support under different standards (CDM, VERRA, Gold Standard and national or local Standards) among other local and international carbon schemes
- Conduct site visits and travel to project locations whenever needed
- Be a key point of contact and maintain a good relationship with the team members inside the company, project owners, clients, validation and verification bodies, and other counterparts
- Provide technical and business development support with project sourcing
- Follow up with the internal procedures in our internal project management tool regarding all signed ERPAs
- Prepare and support preparation of proposals and deliverables and finalise them to the quality required by South Pole and the client
- Define and plan content and structure to support the certification of the project: work plans, work schedules, budgets, and deliverables
- Schedule Technical Reviews and Quality Checks
- Ensure that all collaborators receive ongoing training and that they have the necessary skills and tools to perform their work
- Keep the team members (collaborators) informed of their progress in the project and remind them to stay within the time and budget agreed
- Draft invoices to be approved by the supervisor and sent to accounting for submission to clients
- Managing project owners' accounts in our internal project management tool
- Update proposal/project information in project management tool and ensure all relevant documents are accessible on the drive at any time
- Keep general information, milestones and cash flow in the project management software up to date
- Planning and development of site visits and other types of business trips/training
- University Degree in environmental sciences, forestry or climate change and carbon mitigation related fields, a Master’s degree is a plus
- Expected of 3–5 years of work experience in in the field of climate change, preferably with experience in project management and development of CDM, VCS and Gold Standard projects
- Familiarity with carbon standards like, CDM, VERRA, GS4GG, CCER, etc.
- Ability to work on assignments that are diverse in nature, applying company policies, processes and procedures to resolve a variety of issues/problems.
- The capacity to solve relatively complex project-related problems independently, and receive general direction on new assignments or projects
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Have excellent communication skills, especially verbal and written skills in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Ability to create high quality written documents (proposals and deliverables) in
- English and Mandarin Chinese
- Ability to manage targets and priorities and develop own goals
- National, or holder of a valid work visa in mainland China
- Please also attach CV in Chinese in your application. Failure to do so will consider application is incomplete
- Hands On experience on carbon project development from initial project assessment to issuance
- Working experiences on AFULO projects or background of forestry will be a plus
- A good network with various market participants e.g. project owners, DOEs and government agencies will be a plus
- Flexible and efficient
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.